Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Talented Face Behind the Mask


I really Love the performances in various films of Peter Lorre. In High School we were shown M (1930) in my film appreciation class. I was immediately hooked! The Bulging Eyes, the Frantic Looks, everything that separates a "Star" from an Actor. Much to my pleasure, TCM recently showed THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK (1941). This little B programmer is one of the fastest paced and throughly entertaining films I have seen in a long time. Lorre plays Janos Szaby, an immigrant who arrives in New York with hopes and dreams made possible only in the U.S. In his tiny apartment building, a fire starts and Janos is horribly disfigured. When Society shuns him, he turns to Crime and becomes a Feared and Respected Boss. Then......but why ruin it. See it when you can. A very effective poster is displayed here for your viewing pleasure. I spent a LOT of time restoring this one. Enjoy!

No comments: